Article written by: Azeezah (Editor)
The Klondyke Cherry Farm is situated in Ceres, South Africa. It is 170km out of Cape Town and a 2 hour drive.
Visiting the Klondyke cherry farm will make for a fun filled day of picking cherries straight from the cherry trees. From climbing up ladders to reach the juiciest, reddest cherries, to reaching out and plucking the delicious low hanging cherries. Visiting the Klondyke Cherry farm is certain to create lasting memories with your loved ones.
If you are someone that enjoys being prepared, knowing what to carry with you and what to expect, then this article is for you. I have included a printable checklist (at the bottom of this post) to help make the preparations a little easier for you. This printable is my attempt to save you some time. As a busy mother of 3, lists are something I do regularly, but I have to admit, if I have lists made for me it does make my life a little easier. I hope this list helps you prepare and makes planning and going to the Klondyke Cherry Farm easier for you and your family.
Here is a list that I have compiled based on my experience at the Klondyke Cherry Farm in December 2018.
Before heading to the farm it is always best to call and check on the availability of the cherries as the season varies each year. Also ask them about any specials or promotions that they might be running.
Tip: Try and get there as early as possible.
We managed to get there by 8 and by 10/11 when we were on our way out we saw all the ladders were being used and there was a long line of cars waiting to enter. Also the heat picks up as the day progresses. So if you are done enjoying picking cherries during the morning you can relax and enjoy your braai or picnic thereafter.
- Carry lots of water
- Pram if taking a baby or toddler with; pram can be pushed easily on the gravel.
- Wear comfortable clothes (no jeans).
- Wear closed shoes.
- Wear dark coloured clothes (cherries are juicy and the juice can be a bit messy).
- Leave very early from Cape Town (leave by latest 6.30 a.m- you should arrive before 9 a.m)
- Pack a nice picnic or carry meat to braai at Klondyke Cherry Farm. (braai facilities are available, call before, to enquire for more details on the availability/cost).
- Carry camping chairs and a tent or umbrella for some extra shade.