- What is your name?
- What country were you born in?
- What job did you have in your home country?
Stay at home mum
- How long have you been living in your new country for? 15 years
- Did you immigrate alone or with your family and kids?
Hubby and 2 daughters
- What were your kids ages when you immigrated and how did they adjust to the new environment?
My kids were 5 years and 3 years old. Kids adjusted very well. After a month we were there they started school. So they basically grew up here in the UK.
- How are the schools in the UK?
Like everywhere, it depends which area you are living in, but in general schools are really good here.
- What is your job in the UK?
I work for my husband as he has his own practice here. My husband is a chiropodist/podiatrist
- What do you enjoy about your new country?
Everything. The quality of life is good.
- What do you miss the most about South Africa?
- What advice would you give someone that is contemplating to immigrate to the UK?
I would say go for it. Make sure that you have a job and a place to live sorted before you move.
- What challenges, if any, would you advise them to anticipate based on your experiences when you first moved to the UK?
We had no support system when we moved. We knew nobody here at all.
- What advice would you give them to overcome those challenges based on how you overcame them?
Make friends and get a support system. Once I made friends they became my family and that makes a huge difference.
- How was the visa process for immigrating to the UK?
Very simple as we came on hubbys working visa. The company he worked for sorted out the visa .
- How is the cost of living in the UK compared to South Africa?
Personally I think the cost of living is much higher here than in South Africa.
- Anything else you would like to add, or any advice you would like to give to anyone that is contemplating moving to the UK?
I think that as a couple its easier to move here and live here. As a family, maybe not that easy but if the kids are little like mines were it is easy as they started school here and grew up here, so this is all that they know. But like everything in life its what you make of a situation.
To read the other articles in this series, visit the blog page on our website.