There is something amazing about picking your own fruit straight from a tree.These cherries were sweet and juicy. They were by far the best cherries I had ever tasted. The kids also really enjoyed the experience as they could actually reach the cherries straight from the tree, however using the ladder just made it more fun for them.
Here is a list that I have compiled based on my experience at the farm on 16 December 2018. Before heading to the farm it is always best to call and check on the availability of the cherries as the season varies each year. Also ask them about any specials or promotions that they might be running.
- Carry lots of water
- Pram if taking a baby or toddler with; pram can be pushed easily on the gravel.
- Wear comfortable clothes (no jeans).
- Wear closed shoes.
- Wear dark coloured clothes (cherries are juicy and the juice can be a bit messy).
- Leave very early from Cape Town (leave by latest 6.30 a.m) as it does get hot in the orchid as the day progresses.
- There are also limited ladders available and arriving early will guarantee you to get a ladder.
- Pack a nice picnic or braai at the farm. (braai facilities are available, call before to enquire for more details).
- Carry camping chairs and a tent or umbrella for some extra shade.